17.1.12

I think I just ate a German dog bisquit...



After such a heavy morning, we tried to end on a positive note in Europe, so we celebrated our freedom by jumping the border about 2.5 hours to Germany for the afternoon! 


We took the bus to Dresdin, Germany and spent the afternoon touring around, eating lunch, and shopping!
No one speaks English here though, and they're not very nice if you don't speak English. As my friend Jackie put it, "They all look like someone smeared poop under their nose." I couldn't agree more.


But, I cannot judge all of Germany just for this one town on this one day after a morning spent at a concentration camp. Let's be honest, my perception was a bit skewed at this point.


Germany was kind of exactly what I expected, VERY grey (although it is the middle of January, everywhere is grey), very rigid, and everyone sounded like this….




Special thanks to Laura for providing this masterpiece :) I miss you!!!! 


Our tour guide, Maerk gave us a tour around Dresdin, here are some pics…





Ummmm….


There are TONS of places in Dresdin that look like this…almost charred to a crisp. No, it's not because of the wars here like I thought, it's actually the kind of stone they used to build the building. They oxidize (is that the right word?) over time and turn from a beige color to black. Much of the city had to be rebuilt after the wars, so that's why some of it is new and beige and some is old and black.

carriage!!! I had to hold myself back from running and jumping on these and having these horses take me all the way back to Florida!


Ok, so I kinda liked Dresdin… it's just no Prague, that's for sure. I think if I would have done this before Prague, I would have though it was stunning.









It was absolutely FREEZING OUT though!!!!! So, after the short tour of the town, Jackie and I headed straight to the mall for warmth and something that reminded us of home :) I've been homesick for the past three days!

The mall was BEYOND large. I was in heaven for the two hours we had there. Except that I had to take out Euros just to pee. They make you pay for the bathroom everywhere they can in Europe!!!!! Damn nickel and dimers….

I actually did some prep for work while I was there, and by that I mean I bought copius amounts of red and khaki that I found on sale. I'm telling you guys, the fact that you wear red and khaki at all levels in Target kills my soul just a bit. I tried to find the cutest R+K I could, but it's just nearly impossible.

Here's my pile:





As you can tell, I really haven't had time to organize my life!

I also had to buy a new bag for all of my souvenirs/new work clothes.



Got a little plaid baby.

Of course, we got hungry as we power shopped, and I grabbed a little sample from a shop while I passed.

After I grabbed it, I realized it looked much like Kibble… 

But I ate it anyway. I was hard and dry and tasted like dog food and I swear to you I think it was a German dog biscuit, because when I got back I googled German dog biscuits and found the exact heart shaped cookie for dogs. FML.

99% sure this is what I ate.


Speaking of food, I have been soooo proud of myself for stepping outside of my food comfort zone here…..

The central Europeans eat a lot of veal, olives, gnocchi, pork, risotto… and I've eaten all of these (minus veal…never ever will I eat a tortured baby calf)…


I've also tried these new foods that I never had before:

1.) Duck. Verdict- pretty good!
2.) Rabbit. Verdict- disgusting, greasy, and most of all creepy
3.) Rum tea. Verdict- tastes like taking a hot shot. Wouldn't recommend it.
4.) Mulled wine. Verdict- my new addiction.
5.) Gooseberries. Verdict- DELICIOUS!
6.) Birchermuesli. Verdict- Another new addition!
7.) Gnocchi. Verdit- very heavy but tasty!
8.) Beef carrpacio aka raw beef. Verdict- good if on a cracker, disgusting if not.
9.) Black olives. Verdict- I finally like them in olive oil with salt!
10.) Dark beer. Verdict- LOVE dark Czech beer.
11.) Herbal liquor. Verdict- Tastes like your eating an alcoholic Gingerbread Man.
12.) Congnac balls. Verdict- So wrong, it's right.
13.) Swiss kisses (wafer with a giant ball of marshmallow fluff on top covered in chocolate)- ummmm…no words. Is this what heaven tastes like?
14.) Red hot chili chocolate. Verdict- the ONLY chocolate in the world I don't like.
15.) Leeks. Verdict- LOVE!


Germany was great and all, but I am MORE than ready to come home!!


European facts of the Day:
1.) Did you know the movie hostile was filmed in the Czech Republic?? We saw where he ending scene was filmed today!
1.) Every portion is much smaller here, especially the coffee, it's tiny!



Good bye Europe, hello giant portions!!!

Leaving for home tomorrow! :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share POSITIVE comments! Negative comments will be deleted.