11.1.12

Czech Yourself Befo You Wreck Yoself.


Ughhhhh…this morning was E-A-R-L-Y!!!!

We had to LEAVE the hotel for the airport at 6:30. The worst thing about traveling with a group of 15 people is that everything takes about 10 times longer than traveling by yourself or with a small group.

I pounded one last bowl of  Muesli (my favorite new food from Switzerland, kind of like yogurt and granola and mini blackberries all mixed together)… and headed to the airport for Prague (it’s Praha here)!

On the way,  I found this awesome retro sweater that I can’t wait to rock back at home when the weather gets chili. It says Alpine Club on the back



Yep, I’m officially in the Swiss Alpine Club. Truth is, I really don’t even know what it is… but I like it.

We took two 1.5 hour plane rides to get to Prague. We stopped in Amsterdam for approximately 7 minutes, 


I snapped this photo of the adorable flight attendants that looked like they stepped right off of Pan Am, and we headed to Prague.




This plane was the death of me. City Hopper, it's a name that makes you motion sick without even stepping foot inside the plane.


Prague is a lot more colorful and vibrant than I imagined.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just naïve, but when I think Soviet Union and communism struck, I just think of an all gray city with sad people all wearing black.

While,  they do have one of the highest suicide rates (they don’t get a lot of sun here in the winter), everyone seems happy. Must be because they have the highest beer consumption per capita in the world! Yep, that’s definitely it.

We drove around the city a bit and headed to our hotel which is gorgeous! It has some of the highest ceilings I have EVER seen. Mom, you would LOVE it.

Here’s some pics of our hotel and room.



Lobby

Staircase




Breakfast

They greet you with hot wine (soooo good) and Christmas cake… a Czech tradition

Our room!


Love this tile


The windows open just like a Disney movie!!



Another fun fact, over 60% of Czech’s are agnostic. 

Weird huh? Our guide explained it that when you have someone pressing you to be religious (the communist government) you’re not so hot on faith…

plus, World War II was kind of a bummer too (although I guess Hitler had some kind of deal with Prague and spared many in the city), and many other hardships on the country including famine and plagues have essentially ripped the faith out of many people. So sad.

We took a bit of a break in the hotel room, then out to explore a new cityyyy!!! So fun!!!! I never get sick of traveling to new places.

We went to the Meating Place for dinner and I had duck for the first time….

Carrie and I were lovin’ this giant couch….


Tomato soup with pesto toast

Warm beetroot and pumpkin salad with roast duck breast, raisins, arugula, and raisin dressing….such an interesting combo of flavors!

Look how high our bill was!!!!! But don't fret my pet…. it's in crowns :) In US dollars that would be 25 bucks.



Plus they had Captain Morgan!!! Nobody in Europe has my favorite drink!

After our bellies were full it was off to the main square in Prague which used to be a fortress when the city was under attack.











Drop everything you're doing and book a trip to Prague now. You NEED to see it in person in your lifetime. Pictures don't do it justice.

We went up to the top of the Astronomical clock which tells its times by the stars. The view from the top was INCREDIBLE!

Here’s a video…






The clock show however, was a bit disappointing. I was expecting some coo coos, but there were just weird figures rotating…




We had some hot tea with rum in the square, because it was FAAAA-REEEEZZZZINNGGGGG!!!

Then headed to explore the bars here!

Brent, one of the guys on the trip, had a favorite beer hall in Prague that he had been to before called U Flecku, so we headed there. After trying to walk/figure out the subway system/trying to find how to buy tickets/walking because we didn’t go far enough/seeing much of the city by getting lost, we got there!

It was SOOOO worth it though.

Complete with Czech tuba and accordion player,




Sausage and saurkraut…




And dark beer… that I LIKED!!!! Shwhat?!?







They also gave us a chaser shot to take down with it…. Learned it was 80 proof after I swallowed…. Oops….

Soo so fun!

Czech Please!!! :)

1 comment:

Feel free to share POSITIVE comments! Negative comments will be deleted.