15.11.11

Ery Day I'm Shuff-el-in'



Woke up early this morning to blog study for my test. It was all cold and rainy looking outside so I warmed up quick with a cup of coffee and a sliced hot pear, vanilla yogurt, raw oats, and SunButter.



You know that newscaster thing I was talking about yesterday? So, today on the local news, the news anchor is talking about so-and-so who is being sentenced to death today at 4PM for killing two people by tying dropping them in the ocean with cinder blocks tied around their necks. Annnnd back to you for the weather Lee!

WTF. Is this not traumatizing to anyone else?!

Went to strength class, and the instructor brought back good ole' leg lifts and butt presses.

Note to self: Do NOT google "Butt Lift" ever again.

I snacked on these bad boys while I waited for someone to get into town for lunch (wahoo!).






Pumpkin Seeds (shelled) sprinkled with garlic salt and cinammon (it sounds disgusting, but my friend Suzy and I did it on accident once, and it was delicious!) toasted in the oven at 375 for about 10-15 minutes.


So, because of the bug incident I told you about the other day (now, J's all mad at me bc I called him out on his bug catching skills), I called the exterminator and they came while I was gone this morning and they left this note. Please tell me you think it's funny too.



Oh how I love being serviced on a Tuesday.

Guess who's back?! Karen and Steve-o!!! They are flying out today back to Indiana (were in Key West for the boat races) and took the time to have lunch with me.


Cheeeeeeeesssseeeccccaaakkkkeeee FFFFFaaaacccctttooooorrrrryyyyy.....






We ate outside since it was 75 out today. It was absolutely perfect! My dad and I split edamame to started then both had our own Thai lettuce wraps- these are my absolute favs.

My parents are slowly gettin' into my blog now... I was just about to dig into this treat, when they stopped me with fork midway to my mouth and said, "Wait! Aren't you going to take a picture of it for your blog?!" And so I did...yep, that's the whole story.

Mom and I shared this pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. Well,  more like I mooched. I didn't hate it one bit.




Linda and Greg Walda joined us for lunch. Greg apparently loves to eat cabbage plain, so he took it right off my plate and started munchin' like a mad man! Then, dad joined him. They were noshing on it. What men do that?! haha



Justin couldn't join us, because he got a HUGE account at work yesterday and is swamped, so I brought him this Reese's Chocolate Cake Cheesecake to the office. I "didn't take a bite out of it on the way there."


So, after yesterday's trip to Whole Foods, and the expenses associated, I thought I'd give you guys this:

5 Ways to Save Money other Places so You Can Buy Good Food (or whatever you want)!

1.) Save on toiletries that don't matter as much. For example, Justin and I use good ole' Irish Mist soap as opposed to fancy shmancy bath and body works smell good stuff.



2.) Sign up for a rewards account with your bank. I use Chase Rewards debit card program, and about every couple months, I use my rewards to put $40 bucks in my account.



3.) Use coupons. Especially the ones that come with catalogs or mailers like "Free Panty at Victoria Secret." Seriously, I think 85% of my skivvies have come from deals like this.





4.) Don't be afraid to go to two stores. I shop at Whole Foods or Greenwise for things I can't get anywhere else like certain sauces or tofu noodles, but then head to Wal-mart for the more general things. This also applies to clothes/accessories. A lot of times, I will find looks or trends that I want in higher end stores, then see where I can find the same thing for much cheaper at stores like Zara, H+M, Target, and Forever 21. Nine times out of 10, I am able to find something extremely similar if not exactly the same.



5.) I typically choose 3 recipes per week that I want to try. I get everything for those that I need, and then whatever leftover money I have in my budget, I will spend on things I like to get every week like spinach, almond milk, fresh fruit, and spinach wraps. Typically, I can find some way to turn the leftovers from the meals into lunches or whatever meals aren't accounted for.




So, I saw this poor dog walking home from the gym today, that had sort of a limp on it's left back leg, but I swear it looked like the dog was shuffling every time it took a step. 

I couldn't help my self, I laughed out loud. I felt so bad because this poor dog was probably beaten or something, but how can you not laugh at a tap dancing dog!







This dog is a spaz. Makes me laugh so hard.


Another thing that makes me tinkle my pants slightly is this.


If you have not seen The Lawrence Welk Show, you must watch it this very minute. This was my sister's Halloween costume last year, you'll know which one when you see her  :)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37752/saturday-night-live-the-lawrence-welk-show




Got some good recipes for ya tonight, folks. I gotta rush through them though because I have some major studying to catch up on for tomorrow's test!


McLovin's Minestrone (Adapted from Kath Eats Real Food)






  • 2 zucchini, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 2 cups fresh green beans, bite-sized
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 28 oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
  • 15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 clove garlic or minced garlic
  • 1 heaping tsp dried herbs of your choice, such as oregano and basil
  • 1.5 cups whole wheat shells, dry
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • Cracked black pepper to taste
  • 3 cups baby spinach






      • Toss first four veggie ingredients in olive oil, salt and pepper.





  • Roast at 400* for 20 minutes.

  • Meanwhile, combine broth, tomatoes, beans, garlic and herbs and bring to a boil.


  • Add pasta and olives. Cover and lightly boil until pasta is tender.
  • Pour in roasted veggies. Cook for 1 minute more.
  • Season with turmeric, red pepper and black pepper.
  • Place spinach into bowls and pour soup on top.





    • Garnish with parmesan















Chip Off the Ole' Banana (baked banana chips)
Ingredients:


  • 2 ripe nanners
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • Nonstick cooking spray
Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 200.
2.) Sliced bananas
3.) Dip each slice into lemon juice
4.) Place onto pan sprayed with nonstick cooking oil
5.) Cook for about 3 hours, flipping every 30 minutes.

This next recipe is one I had been planning on making for a while, I just never have. This morning, out of all the recipes in the world, my friend Erika e-mails this one to me saying it made her think of me... how weird is that?! I was soooo delish!

Baked Bananas (Adapted from Skinny Taste)
Ingredients:





  • 1 medium ripe banana, cut in half lengthwise
  • 2 tsp honey or agave
  • cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cut bananas in half. Arrange banana in an oven safe dish or on tinfoil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and honey. Cover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how soft you like them.

NNNNaaaannnneeerrrr...




I put coconut and yogurt on them and they tasted amazingggg!!!

They're great for dessert, a healthy sweet snack, or even breakfast! Wooww gettin' crazy here folks. 

Off to sh-doody! (haha doody)....


Today, I am thankful that the holidays are so close. It was a tease being with some of my family today. It will feel sooo good to go back to Indiana and be surrounded by friends and fam. Grad. school can be such a drag :) I am especially hoping for a white Christmas (haven't been back to Indiana in the cold for almost 2 years!)

Night!


1 comment:

Feel free to share POSITIVE comments! Negative comments will be deleted.