26.10.11

Trials and Tribulations of the Runs... errr Running

Breakfast
Ok, so since we're just starting out together, I'll let you know a little bit about my everyday routine at this time in my life. Justin (my boyfriend) usually leaves for work at 7AM. After a quick hug and kiss (he knows he's in trouble if he leaves without one), I turn on the Today Show, make some coffee (Godiva Pumpkin Spice is life changing), breakfast (today I have chopped appled mixed with yogurt, pumpkin puree, applesauce, and cinnamon but obviously that only lasted me about an hour so I had a bowl of homemade granola and soy milk later!), and read blogs for 20 minutes on my phone do something productive.


After a while, I actually DO start to do something productive. Lately, I've been either studying or working on a project I've been doing for the Alliance for Eating Disorders in West Palm Beach. They are essentially distributing an eating disorder reference guide to every college in the nation, and I am working on the contact information for each school! Right now, it's California, and I SWEAR it's neverendinggggggggg!!! I love that I get to do something to help though.


Today, I applied to some really serious jobs such as puppy sitting, dog walking, etc. I also applied as an on call stylist for HSN and for an assistant management director as Anthropology! Have no idea if anything will come about, but would be awesome if it did!


The Runs
At some point in the morning, I usually get the energy to do something active. I'm a member at the Harbour Island Athletic Club and I love to run (sometimes), so I usually take a class (ie BodyPump, Yoga, spinning, etc) or go on a run outside! Today, I had a lot of motivation so I went on a six mile run along Bayshore (the longest sidewalk in the nation happens to be in my backyard and it's on the water!!!).


Bayshore!




Today started off great, despite have sore buns from yesterday's Strength class (I love this instructor but she is ruthless), I felt energized and like I could go on for hours (or more like hour). I even saw two dolphins! Or it could have been one...following me the whole run.....hmmm.....creepy....


First siting!


Second (or stalker dolphin...)




So after the dolphin siting, I was sooo excited! I took a picture on my phone and couldn't stop smiling like an idiot. Then, my favorite flavor of the week song came on came on and got me feeling too cool for school. "Girl, look at that body, Girl, look at that body, Girl, look at that body, I work out!!!" Ok, so maybe the techno beat got me a little too excited at that point, because before I knew it I was face planting on the cement.


So much for a good run. I had an injured hand,


Ouch.







shin,
So, see how it looks like dry skin, it's really massive scrapage!










phone,


boo!!!! Plus, look how ghetto my playlist looks, who am I?!




and not to mention ego... There was this woman running by me who could barely look at me without laughing. Awesome. I don't blame her. Why am I so cool sometimes?


Oh yeah this is why:
Yes, that IS a fanny pack.




I came home and did 8-minute abs which is soooo 90's. Plus, the guy says "gang" as in "Keep it goin gang!" 8 times, count 'em 8 times during an 8 minute video. Yes, I did count.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjTnBmCHTY


Lunch
After the workout came lunch. I've been obsessed with the Kath Eats Real Food blog for several weeks now and have tried a bunch of her recipes. Some turn out great (butternut squash and kale soup) and some not so great (Wheatberry and Radicchio Salad burning incident).


Today's Tuna and Cottage Cheese Salad adapted from Kath Eats Real Food was soooooo good, so summery and fresh!



Mix all together in a bowl:
  • 6 oz. drained canned tuna
  • 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
  • 1 ear of corn cut off cob (or ~1/3 cup frozen)
  • ~1/3 cup chopped summer squash (or other veggie of choice)
  • 1 large or 2 small chopped roma tomatoes
  • 1/2 an avocado, diced
  • Few leaves chopped fresh basil (totally optional)
  • 1 tsp light mayo
  • 1 tsp Creole or Cajun seasoning
  • Salt + pepper to taste
Serves 2.





It's ok to do summery in Florida in October because it's still 75 degrees here :) Sorry, I had to rub it in a little because it was 98 degrees all summer (but not quite as sweet as the boy band). It is super light and will not tide me over until dinner, but never fear, I had some homemade halloween bark, hot cocoa, celery and cheese, and strawberries to do that! Munch much?


After class, I was starving!!!! So I ate this entire pot.


Asian Millet Salad from KERF






Just kidding! I think I might have made a bit too much. See, what happened was, I accidentally made twice as much millet, then had to compensate for the disgusting slop by adding more veggies! So, now I have dinner for a month, because God knows Justin isn't gonna eat it. See, he's more of a meat and potatoes guys, so it can be hard to cook for both of us. So I just cook for me. just kidding, I do try!
Asian Millet Salad (adapted from Kath Eats Real Food)
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup uncooked millet
  • 1 small head cabbage, sliced into ribbons
  • 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
  • 8 oz package mushrooms
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into pieces (about 2.5 cups)
  • 1/3 green pepper, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 corn on the cob, corn cut off (or 1/2 cup frozen corn)
  • 1/2 poblano pepper, diced
  • 1/2 a jicama cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 T garlic
  • 2 tsp fresh grated ginger (although I used powdered)
  • 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
Cook millet as directed on package. Sautee veggies in garlic, ginger and cooking spray or olive oil until tender.
Dressing
  • 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice (half a lemon)
  • 1/2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp honey (I used agave nectar)
  • S+P
Shake or whisk together dressing and pour over millet. Combine millet and veggies. Toss with toasted sunflower seeds.
Makes about 12 cups . About 110 kcal, 6 grams fiber and 4.5 grams protein per 1 cup serving.
It was delicious and makes A LOT!

Now, it's a little down time and banana ice cream dessert before dance rehearsal tonight!

Good night!!!

1 comment:

  1. Negative comments will be deleted, huh? Looks like I have to come up with something nice to say... hmmm....

    hmm....

    hmm............

    JUST KIDDING! I LOVE YOU and I'm so excited to see this blog take off! It's just what I need each day (you're so much more motivated than I am fitness-wise... always have been!). I can't wait to share recipes now that you're finally cooking (wink).

    Love you to pieces. Bring on the flatulence and movie quotes!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share POSITIVE comments! Negative comments will be deleted.